- Monitoring changes in:
- Ocean life (productivity, biodiversity, distribution or ranges of any species);
- Ocean characteristics (temperature, acidity, currents, chemical cycles).
- Achieving sustainability of any marine resource exploitation (algae, energy or pharmaceuticals).
- Restoring and/or increasing the resilience of vulnerable marine ecosystems and biodiversity at any scale, with any technique/methodology.
Pure Ocean is looking for projects in five major areas of the world: Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean Sea and polar regions. There is no age limit to apply, but early career applicants are particularly appreciated. We will also pay attention to gender equity amongst and encourage applications from underrepresented communities. Only research institutes, universities or NGO’s may apply.
● Co-construction – Reflects inter- or transdisciplinary, collaboration and knowledge-sharing among a variety of stakeholders (e.g., research institutes, government agencies, non-governmental organisations, private sector, grassroots movements, local communities).
● Engagement – Demonstrates passion and determination along with the gathering of all relevant and realistic resources to reach effective global change.
● Innovation – Develops new visions, techniques and methods for improving environmental and social well-being in one or more of the following areas of innovation: technological, social and ecological (inspired by nature).
● Impact – Corresponds to one or more of the priority themes described above with clearly-defined short, medium, and/or long-term impacts (both quantitative and qualitative impacts as well as any intangible impacts that the project may have).
● Applicants should demonstrate co-funding opportunities in their budget.
● Projects with a potential for replicability may be a plus.